Drug Trafficking | Criminal Defense Attorney for Metro Houston
There are several ways in which someone can be charged with drug trafficking in Texas. The act of drug trafficking is a felony specified by the State of Texas as the manufacturing or delivery of a controlled substance, otherwise known as an illegal drug. If you have been arrested and charged with trafficking of a controlled substance in Metro Houston, or anywhere in Texas, get in contact with the law office of Michael Lamson for a comprehensive review of your drug trafficking case.
Penalties for Drug Trafficking
The State of Texas has set aside harsh penalties for drug trafficking, based on the amount of the controlled substance:
- First-degree felony drug trafficking of over 400 grams is penalized by 15 years to life in prison with fines up to $250,000.
- First-degree felony drug trafficking of 200 to 399 grams is penalized by 10 years to life in prison with fines up to $100.000.
- First-degree felony drug trafficking of four to 199 grams is penalized by five to 99 years in prison with fines up to $10, 000.
- Second-degree felony drug trafficking of one to 3.99 grams is penalized by two to 20 years in prison with fines up to $10,000.
- State jail felony drug trafficking of less than one gram is penalized by 180 days to two years in state jail with fines up to $10,000.
Note that additional federal charges may be involved and that penalties likely will be harsher for repeat offenders.
Expert Defense Against Drug Trafficking Charges in Metro Houston
Call us for expert legal representation for drug trafficking cases in Metro Houston. We will review your case and determine which defenses to apply in your case. Common defenses include submitting evidence and testimony that law enforcement officers failed to follow department procedures during the arrest and investigation or that police failed to use a search warrant. Additional defenses that may apply include irrelevant evidence, the wrong drug or amount of drug was specified in the complaint and that the defendant did not know or intend to traffic the drug.
The Texas Law Office of Michael Lamson provides expert legal help for defendants in drug trafficking cases for the following communities and jurisdictions:
- North Houston
- West Houston
- Brazoria County
- Fort Bend County
- Harris County
- Montgomery County
- Federal cases for U.S. District Courts